Business Travel Insurance
When you travel abroad on business its important to ensure you have adequate travel insurance before you go. If you are an employee of the company you a travelling on behalf of you would normally assume that they would pay the bills should you come into difficulties abroad but this is not always the case and you should check with your employer the extent of your insurance. You may or may not be covered for medical treatment, flights should you need to return early, replacement equipment such as laptops or PDAs.
If have you are self employed or you are part of your own business it is vitally important that you have adequate cover when you travel. Regular travel insurance is ok but if you're travelling with valuable equipment or to multiple destinations then you will require specialist business insurance.
Cover can vary depending on the insurer but generally there are two types of cover; "Single Trip Cover" or if you travel more regularly you will need to consider having "Annual Multi-Trip Cover". There are quite a large selection of Insurers offering these kind of services in the UK so it is best to shop around to get a policy that suits your needs and budget.
Policies can commonly include:
- Medical Expenses - Should you become ill or injured whilst abroad this will cover the cost of any treatments, Medication, or Surgery. This may also include emergency transport should you need to be flown home in the event of a medical emergency.
- Cancellation Compensation - This should cover the costs of cancellations, accommodation, transport and travel expenses should you need to come home early for any reason.
- Money, Cheques or Documents - Should you lose or have your money, credit card or travellers cheques stolen some policies will see that you are reimbursed, likewise if you lose important documents action can be taken to get what you need.
- Business Equipment Cover - This kind of cover can include protection against the loss or theft of Laptops, PDAs, Cameras or other important equipment.
- Sports Equipment Cover - Often an optional extra this can include equipment such as Golf Clubs, Tennis Racquets etc
- Emergency Colleague - Should you need to return home for any reason this type of cover should payout for the cost of a replacement colleague to be flown out to continue your work.
- Personal Liability - Cover against injury or mistreatment. This may or may not include legal cover.
- Emergency Assistance - This ranges from travel advice, medical advice, rescue etc; depending on the extent of your policy.